This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Wang Lin’s reflection: A worthwhile experience in life

How time slips away! It has been the forth week since I take part in teaching practice in Taman SEA School. I really appreciate that I together with my partner Wang Siting was assigned to this school which is one of the top 10 secondary school in PJ. I am also glad that my mentor as well as other teachers in this school welcomes us wholeheartedly.
For the first few days, I felt quite stressful and complicated. As a new comer, there are plenty of things I need to get familiar with and comply with. In the meanwhile, as a foreigner, sometimes I also have to translate Malay language to English. Fortunately, I am able to get help from other teachers and Siting all the time, which makes me feel at ease.
As far as I can see, practices in teaching differ across countries. At least there is a distinct contrast in school systems between Malaysia and my motherland. There are two form 2 classes that I was required to teach, one of which is the best class (2 A) in the grade and the other one is the second last (2K). From the moment I got to know my students, I found out that these kids are just around 14 years old. Adolescents under this age must be very talkative and open-minded, and so are my students. Therefore, classroom management becomes the major concern in my class. It seems that they fairly enjoy the chatting time in my class as some students are really overactive. I can understand that they may not have someone to talk with when they are at home, so once they are in the school, they catch every chance to chat. Soon after I realized the fact, I try not to speak until all of the students are settled down and seated. Actually the strategy works, but not all the time. So being firm is not the only solution to control the class, we should also catch students’ attention and have them engaged in the activities.

Catering for different style of learning is another challenge. Indeed, students’ English proficiency level varies. The more I know my students, the clearer I understand their needs. Sometimes lesson planning is not that difficult, but when we plan to have each student effectively involved, it will be somewhat tough.

I have also conducted a listening activity with my 2K students once. It is about listening to a song and filling up the lyrics. Students enjoyed in this activity and they really paid their attention to the music. When the class was over, a boy called Emerson said to me: “I think teachers like you are more modern and learning English can be really easy and interesting.” Yes, it is true that audio and visual aids can have a great impact on English teaching.

Even though the students are naughty on their seats, when they come in front to role play, they are shy and bashful. They are really naïve and lovely.

In addition, correcting students’ work is a meaningful way to improve myself in learning English. I discovered numerous expressions and English idioms which I never know before from these brilliant students.

So far, I am kind of adapted to the school environment and the routine work. I can tell that my life is engaged and fulfilling every day. Teaching practice is worth trying because it is meaningful to gain experience instead of learning just the theory. Even if there are a lot of areas for me to work on, I am willing to take advice. After all, life is a continuous process for improving oneself. Lastly, there is a time in life that is full of uneasiness; we have no choice but to face it.

No comments:

Post a Comment