This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Monday, September 3, 2012

Pei Pei's First Reflection for Teaching Practice

I came back to KL a week earlier before teaching practice so that I can look for a place to stay which is near to my designated school, SMK (P) Taman Petaling together with my partners; Yasmin, Ashilla and Dava, also together with some friends. We look for rooms and houses online but most of them are so costly and is not near to the school. A day before the briefing, we went back to the faculty and found out that my partner and I got transferred yet again (for the third time) to SMKDJ and are no longer in SMK Taman Petaling. It saddens me as I was already expecting four of us to go to school together and planning our lessons together. Nevertheless, I also feel grateful at the same time for not having found a place near SMK Taman Petaling as it would mean that my partner and I will have to travel quite some distance everyday is we are to stay there.

On Thursday, Yasmin and I went to the school to report ourselves to the Principal and to see our mentor. The principal were stressing on our dressing and on how we should see ourselves as a real teacher rather than a trainee teacher. It’s ironic how they say that we will be treated as real teachers in this school, but when it comes to getting MC/exemption from class, they say that we MUST only get it from the government hospital as we are ONLY trainee teacher. Challenge accepted, we will be good teachers and stay positive and give all we can offer to stay out of trouble and to uphold our Uni and supervisors’ name. Anyway, the principal seems kind, but strict at the same time. We also spoke to the Senior Assistant who showed us around the school and introduced some of the teachers and other Senior Assistants & Head of Departments to us. We met our mentor too and she is a very kind and helpful lady, passionate with her job and she told us to be prepared as the English proficiency in this school is very high as majority of the students speak English as their first language at home. We were told that we are getting Form 4 classes but will only get to know our schedule on Monday.

After speaking to the Principal and our mentor, I think that my biggest challenge is how to attract students’ attention and make them concentrate in my English lessons as they consists of high proficiency students who might feel that English is nothing to them, because they are already good in it and think that have more important subjects to focus in because they are the pure Science stream students. Another thing that worries me is how to communicate with them as we were told that we should not be too strict or too friendly towards the students. As they are high proficiency students, I am also worried that my knowledge and my proficiency level is not good enough for me to deliver my lessons effectively. There is so much to be worried about yet, I do not know what to prepare myself for. Kids these days are different, they are more opinionated than our generation and I think it is important for us to let them have the chance to express themselves. Therefore, I think one of my strategies is to let them have the chance to express themselves during the lesson, through the activities. It will be good to see what the students have to say or what are their opinions on some issues, rather than having being spoon-feed all the time.

I wish the best for all of my fellow comrades, together we learn and deliver!

No comments:

Post a Comment