This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Shahrul's Anxiety


Admittedly, I had butterflies in my stomach whenever I thought about my teaching practicum. Our simulated teaching classes gave us a brief insight into the world of teaching but I was also aware that I would be facing REAL students in a REAL school (SMK Seri Hartamas). Therefore, I kept telling myself that I would get through it no matter what. Ms Adele's encouraging words during our briefing was a timely boost and gave me the assurance that I would be able to do my job well. A day after the briefing, where we were told the DOs and DONTs, I drove to the school and met the school's principal, Pn Rosimawati and one of the senior assistants, En Kamarul Azman, who gave me a warm welcome and were kind enough to provide me with basic, vital information about the school and its students. I was told that most of the students in SMK Seri Hartamas come from wealthy families and speak English as their first language. This, of course, elevated my level of anxiety but the school's cleanliness, vibrant facade and well manicured small gardens put me at ease. I also could not help noticing how well planned the school is. Any first time visitor would have few or no difficulties in finding their way around the school. Anyway, I was told that I would be teaching Form 2 and Form 4 students and that I would not be getting my timetable on that day and would only receive it on Monday. The principal also mentioned that we, the trainee teachers, would not be formally introduced to the students during assembly on Monday so that we would be perceived as REAL, PERMANENT TEACHERS instead of the trainee teachers that we were going to be.

My biggest worry was that I would not be able to grab my students' attention or fall short on coming up with interesting activities in the classroom as the students are pretty advanced as far as their English is concerned. I knew that I had to step up my game and could only cross my fingers and hope that everything would turn out fine for the next 10 weeks. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment