This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Of Wang Yi's Mind Maps and Gifts

Students' hand drawn mindmaps of different types. These remind me so much of the discussion we had of the different types of mindmaps to not bore the students. Do you remember that one? Well done Wang Yi! 
The clover and rose, I was told, are gifts you gave them, Wang Yi? And one student gave you a bracelet? Aww, how sweet...and you're only in your third week of Teaching practice. Let's read your reflection for the third week:


It is absolutely true that "time flies". Before the teaching practice, I was imagining like hundred times that I might got a hard time in school. But now, the only thing I'm worried about is, not enough time to get to know them better. Maybe all girls, they are just so sweet and nice. Although sometimes very naughty and a bit evil, they do cooperate with me most of the time, and the best part is they just love answering questions. They put their hand up and say "teacher, me me me." I felt sooooo good about this. Problems are always there. There was a girl in my C class. She was not good at English. She always tries to use Malay to answer questions. Last Tuesday was the writing class for them. I gave them 30mins to write a simple essay about describing their hobbies. 

She just wrote 30 words in half an hour. I said you take it back and write a new one for me, submit tomorrow, at least 120 words. She then cried in the class. I was shocked, and totally have no idea why she cried. After asking her friend, knew that she was too weak to write a complete essay. She was afraid of that. I talked to her after class and said I could teach her how to write English essay hand by hand if she wanted, and encouraged her. I lower the words to 50 for her. Just wanted her to improve step by step. As a teacher, we need to focus on every single student, especially the weaker one, they need more attention. Now, at least she is not excluded in writing anymore.

Here is another problem. There is no projecter, no computer in the classroom, though we can bring them to the AV room. So how to make lessons become interesting without any media tools, become a big problem. I prepared colorful pictures, for them to learn the new words, made paper roses and paper clovers when I taught them "Garden Treasures", as a reward for who could answer my question. They were so happy, and became more focus than before. I gave them white paper to draw the mind maps about "how to save our jungles", I should say that they were so good at it. And also did the debate in class. My supervisor Dr. Dorothy has already observed Ma Cond and I once. It was fine, not bad. She told us something we need to improve.I am still trying my best to remeber all of their names. Anyway, I am quite enjoying my teaching practise now, hope you all have the same feeling as mine. (p.s. one of my Indian students gave me a little gife, two bracelets she weave by her self. haha) 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, yes. You are flexible and adapt well to what the school has and does not have. You put the students' needs first and noticed a student who needed help. Im proud of you...

    ReplyDelete