This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Bunmi's Gentle Side at School


Third week! well i will say, so far so good. It has been a wonderful experience for the past 3 weeks. Students were so friendly and happy to see me in their classroom. some will even ask me "teacher when will you come to our class?" I have entered almost all the classes in form 3, 4 and 5. I don't know about other schools but SMKDU students are so respectful and active in learning . The teachers of the school are always there to assist and give us ideas, but also there are a few students who will always act funny.

Sometimes "i put myself in their shoes, during my secondary school days I have done more than what they are doing. So i don't get angry over whatever they have done , i only change face and then smile. 

I share my story with the students,my life experience and my university experience. I also tell them how to get themselves prepare for their future whatever they want to be in life. i told them education is important and English is powerful. I gain students attention in all the classes i have entered in SMKDU, I use the students background knowledge to deliver my lesson. They like to talk ,I always put them in groups of five , they will be given different task in each group and some times same task so they see it as competition with other groups, I award points for groups that did well and you know what ? the class is always lively with loads of entertainment that allows students to converse in English language. With this i was able to get everyone involved in my class and was able to carry the less proficient ones along. 

On Friday i had a relief class in form 4 Bel, I entered the class and i saw half of the students at the back playing a game of Mafia. Then, I called them together and i ask everyone in the class to get involved in the game and we use the whole 35mins period to play the game. The reason why i allow them to play the game for the whole period is because, its a game of dialogue students communicate in English and use some vocab during the game. In the game everyone has to talk and it even gave the less proficient ones opportunity to talk during dialogue (Mafias, Doctors and Civilians). If I enter any class and i notice that the students are looking tired and stressed ,I wont start my topic, I will ask the students to exercise or walk around by the corridor so that they can stretch and look active and refresh again for the class . With all these I have mentioned , i have been able to do all my lesson and also make friends with the students.

 Bunmi's Students
                                               
 Stop Racism
I shared my sporting experience and knowledge with the students and they accepted me as their teacher and their friend. Every time i smile at them, they'd follow my instructions. i never scold or shout, i always call students randomly to write help write on the white board or list their group mind map on the white board. i always make sure they are in group and each group have group leaders. I have used choral reading for my literature classes Poems and drama Gulp and Gasp . I have my style nice, calm and gentle. Never Shout at students and don't rush, the students will flow with you if you take it calm . Thank you all and watch out for the next episode of my teaching practical ... :))))

No comments:

Post a Comment