This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rou Jin's Wonderful Take on Teaching


Hello everyone,

So far so good? That is too cliche and too simple for me to describe my life in my second home; SMK Taman SEA. For the past 21days, I had a great and awesome time in that school. We were welcomed by Madam Faridah (PK) and other teachers as well. We had a short briefing by Mdm Faridah and our mentor, Madam Vijaya. I’m teaching 4C (third class in Form 4) for my first method and for Moral Education, I’m teaching 4 Bunga Raya and 4 Dahlia. The senior teachers are treating us (Awatif and I) well. We can actually gossip with the teachers about the students and our life. Some did buy me lunch and some did ask me to join for a trip to Singapore! A few of the teachers are giving me a gloomy look because there is no ample parking space. Every day, we need to fight for the parking space. Who comes earlier, she will get the convenient parking space. So, anyway, that is just a small issue.

The students are mostly Chinese and at first, I had this feeling that I can’t manage the class well because they are so active and brilliant. I took over Madam Azlinna's class (4C) and I observed her teaching for the first week. Second week begin where I need to enter the class for the first time and Madam Azlinna left the students with me for two periods. I was in my best outfit because I do believe that first impression is very important to attract the student’s attention. I’ve prepared an ice-breaking activity for that day. I started off my class with an introduction of myself. Then I asked them to introduce themselves. A few of them danced Oppa Gangnam style for me, sang One Direction’s songs and one of them gave me a flower (which he plucked from the school garden). He said that, he is the representative from the class to tell me that they welcome me and they hope that I will have a good time with them. I ended my ice-breaking activity by asking them to write a message about what they think of me. I went home I got this whole bunch of letters. Some said I’m pretty, cute, nice hair and etc. Some of the boys did write me song’s lyrics.

Day by day, we’re getting comfortable with each other. In my lessons, I’ve tried to use different strategies because I still couldn’t find out their weaknesses and strengths. So, the day when I use Debating as my activity, they were all so engaging and fought for their points. Then, I know, they likes to talk and argue with each other in a good way. 

Next, I’ve tried teaching them Argumentative Speech. They loved it too. During my observation on last Thursday, I taught them Persuasive Speech and asked them to come out with their own products and persuade their friends to buy to product. They were so active until they were carried away and start debating. Therefore, I chose the students who love to debate to become the judges, to avoid them from debating with the rest. Their task is to just give marks and make sure the group presenting is using the phrases in the Persuasive Speech.

Writing task is not my student’s favourite task. They will scream “No” if I say, “Today, you will need to write me an essay. For the first essay, only 20 out of 35 handed in their essay book. This is quite challenging to ask your students to write an essay, although I have given them few days to complete their essays. What I did was, when I marked their essay, I will stamp “Good”, “Very Good” or “Excellent”. And the best essay for the week will get a stamp of “Parents’ Signature” where I asked the students to show the essay they have written to their parents to read. This is a motivation for them as the rest who doesn’t hand in their book last week, handed in their book the following week just to get a stamp from me. I drew stars in their essay book if their ideas are unique and creative. Oh ! By the way, the way I punish my students if they make any noise in my class is by asking them to write a journal. In another word, they need to write an essay for me. Therefore, they don’t dare to make noise in my class.

Besides that, I’m also active in Co-curriculum where I was assigned to coach the students’ volleyball team and other Co-curriculum activities as well. Well, so far, I have nothing to complaint because I am having so much fun in this school

In my opinion, being a teacher is all about being honest and sincere. Sincere in everything because there are eyes all over the places watching for our attitude, personality and students who need us to brighten the road for a better life. Good luck friends. Do not give up on them because they never give up on us. We just need to find a way to understand their problems and know their needs. 

Love,
Rou Jin

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to read what uve been up to at school. Great to hear that u could get along with the other teachers. I esp am proud of you for strategizing, thinking, and finding out more about your students: what they like, what they hate, how to reward/punish them! Well done Rou Jin!

    LEt us know more about your teaching in the coming posts!

    ReplyDelete