This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Siew In is in the building

I love the clip on drunk driving which you showed us in class. First class! And I like the foreign language used at the end of it. It is not usual for people to use phrases in foreign language to make a statement. Some do. For instance, 'Mi Casa, Su Casa' which is Spanish. Why do native speakers or good speakers of English insert some foreign language use in their spoken language? What about this: 'Et tu Brutus'. What language is this and when do people use it? (hint: read up Julius Caesar). We CAN use some phrases in another language in the English language classroom. BUT hey, I'm not talking about Manglish, okay! That is horrible, horrible. You may, though, use some Malay in your lessons ESP for local products or culture: Nasi lemak, songkok etc, I don't think it is necessary to change Nasi lemak to coconut rice when writing about what Mak cik Kiah is selling at her stall. Get what I mean? I hope I'm making sense. Oh yeah, back to Siew Siew. There were some mistakes in her written and spoken language: 'many of us are not really care about this', 'iregular' etc, you're killing me, Siew In when you use these.....! Et tu Brute?
 Aaaaa..
No doubt you have improved somewhat in your pronunciation but you need to really use the language a lot more to improve further. We had a very good discussion on car accidents and drunk driving. A very good audio clip for listening. Well done, I don't know where you resourced it but it was good. The grammar activity was also in context as it was about a car wreck too. A point made by your one friend for us to ponder: her pre stage was not consistent with her while stage, I fully agree. If in pre, you made students discuss the factors and solutions to car accidents, in while, you need to follow through and have sme sort of discussion on the factors and solution to the car accident from the audio you played. The questions you gave in the worksheet were good. Just remember this: in a lesson, consistency and coherence are keys.

Georgie (who was sick and had a temperature but still came to class because of his dedication) suggested that the reflection at the end of the lesson should be replaced with something to do with factors and solutions or causes and solutions. Card making? Awareness poster? So, we now understand the importance of having flow and consistency. I'm pleased. ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Hi everyone,
    Good points- the video is great for set-induction, you use the video leads the students to your topic. I like the listening exercises you let students do the multiple-choice questions first than you let them fill in the blank. After the listening exercises you let students to role play to check the answer that is very interesting.
    Aspects to work on- the lesson is not well connect. I think the pre-listening stage should have the activity which has connection with the while listening stage. Maybe the teacher can role play the video in the set induction. Imagine one student is the drink diver and the others are his friends. Let the students use their imagination to create the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I check the meaning online about the sentence in that video clip. "konntest du damit leben" means "could you live with it". It may means that after the drunk man killed the little boy by the car accident, he could continue live in this shadow or not.

    Good points
    She showed us a nice video clip. If she can use it well, students can have a nice discussion about it. The exercises for listening part are suitable and easy to understand.

    Improvements
    Like we discussed in the class. You may move the brain storm after work sheet 1 and 2, or before you give the worksheets. Just tell the students the tape they gonna listen later is something about car accident, and the causes of it you may use in the brain storm. Try to give them some hints.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were the only one who checked the meaning of the phrase! I was waiting for this! When teachers use a foreign phrase, students (curious ones) will end up searching for the meaning of it! Hehe unless of course you were interested in the last pic I posted. Hmmmm tq for the suggestions too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did Well:
    1. The video clips was wonderful and very attractive, if we can find something like that when we do our teaching practice, it will be greatly helpful;
    2. Again, the video clips was great, because most of us in the class was attracted and really shocked, I think that`s why we paid more focuses on that lesson;
    3. Her attire was really formal and good looking;

    Need to improve:
    1. Her eye contact need to be improved, means she needs to see what students are doing while she explain something;
    2. Do not watch the teaching material or aids (White board, paper in hand or computer screen) too long, because students may move their attention away;
    3. Asking questions in the middle of the explanation, so that students could more attention and beware of what were they doing;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys, thanks for the comments.
    I do agree that my lesson was simple and need to be more consistent. There are many things that I can improve on. At the end of the lesson, I asked students to write a one minute paper on reflection about the paper was because I try to add an aspect of assessment in that lesson. I agree with George that I still have to give them homework, I think it will be interesting if I ask them to create a poster about car accident prevention.
    Mubarak, so my eye contact was not enough? Maybe because I only focus on certain students. I shall interact more with my students and ask them questions frequently.
    By the way, this is the link where I got my audio clip. I hope it will be useful for you guys to search for material also.
    http://www.esl-lab.com/car-accident/car-accidentrd1.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good points:
    The video was very interesting. Students became interested in the discussion because of the video. The video really affected them. The exercises was easy to be understood even for the LEP students.

    Aspects to work on:
    The stages was consistent. Maybe, she could explained briefly about the lesson during the "pre-listening" stage. So, during the "while-listening stage", students would be able to focus on the main idea in the audio.

    ReplyDelete