This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Monday, November 5, 2012

WENDY: Learning from my peers


What impressed me most is Pei Pei’s reflection about her struggling with a group of high proficient students. The first week was overwhelming for her and she was constantly worried about how the lessons would go on in the following weeks. From her last post, I can say she has done a fantastic job. She pointed out that using presentations in the class incredibly involves her students, even the passive ones. This strategy is very suitable and challenging for high-proficiency students such as form 4 and above because it provokes their critical thinking on a range of social and global issues.

At that age, students have some experience in life and are able to discuss many topics from different aspects and deeply. Once I prepared a debate in my two form 1 classes and the effect was enormous. Not only did my kids loved it and participated passionately, but also they astonished me with their logical, persuasive and powerful arguments. Sometimes, students can come up with certain arguments we can never think of, which makes our teaching more like learning and intriguing. I strongly agree with Dr. Adele’s title of our fourth reflection—“To teach is to learn twice”. 

Therefore, Pei Pei’s presentation strategy can be a wonderful way of teaching and learning. What’s more, Farul’s third reflection about his struggle with the teaching process. He mentioned that he gained respect from his students by having heart-to-heart talks with them, which echoes my way of handling a bunch of teenagers. My students tell me they feel so close to me as I understand their feelings by talking with them over their problems regarding their behaviors in the class. I notice the tiny changes of my students in every class and surprisingly my kids open their heart to me and tell me a great deal about themselves. They feel the chemistry between them and me. 

The longer I’m with them, the more understanding I become about their behavior and reaction in the class rather than being judgmental. Sometimes, what students need more is not just a professional teacher who knows his/her stuff well, but also one that helps them emotionally; thus, open the knots in their hearts, especially those teenagers who are sensitive, moody and obstinate. If we impose our ideas on them and force them to do what we think is right without listening to their opinions first, the impact is always very negative and harmful for both sides in the long run. Whether as a teacher or a parent, analyzing their behaviors by listening to them sincerely proves to be a great way to getting close to them. And the job is harder for a teacher since he/she has to deal with a number of teenagers not one. From my friends’ post, I see we are really concerned about the students’ well-being and have benefited far more we expected. And I wish all of us enjoy our last week in the school. 

1 comment: