This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Wang Yi Shares a Chinese Proverb


Dr. Adelina asked us to talk about things we can learn from others. In this connection, I remember a Chinese proverb: "Among any three people walking, I will find something to learn for sure." Which means, you will always learn something from others. 
During these ten weeks, I truly learnt a lot. From the school teachers, my peers and even my students. Their advices make me become a better teacher.
The lucky thing for me is both of my classes are form two girls. They are still at the age of curiosity. So no matter what kind of game you play with them, most of the time they will interested in it. Like Wendy's "tongue twister" and Ma Jing's "whisper game". I tried many of them in my class. And it really works. The game that we chose must be interesting, and also meaningful. So that students can learn things like pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar. Sometimes we even can do a lit bit changes of the original game, make it more suitable for our students. Learning strategies from others is good, but sometimes we cannot directly use their ideas, because it may not be suitable for your own students. What you do is not use some fancy ideas, games that you think can make your lesson looks perfect, you need to put your feet into students' shoes. (YESSSS WANG YI! ~AA)
I also have kind of same experiences with Farul. He talked about his "heart to heart talk", and gained the respect from his students. At the very beginning, my girls treated me just like a normal teacher, same as other teachers. But after they started to know some personal details about me, like my university, my country. I felt like the distance between us was more close. They also told me their "secrets", like who got a boyfriend. They slowly see me like their big sister. One thing that impressed me a lot is, one of my girls said "Miss Wang, we like you a lot, you are different from other teachers, because every time when we say 'good afternoon' to you, you always give us a sweet smile and say 'good afternoon' too." Students mind details, they really care how their teachers treat them. I strongly agree with Wendy's words "Sometimes, what students need more is not just a professional teacher who knows his/her stuff well, but also one that helps them emotionally; thus, open the knots in their hearts, especially those teenagers who are sensitive, moody and obstinate."

No comments:

Post a Comment