This blog has won third place in the Malaysian National Educational Blog Competition 2012

Monday, October 15, 2012

Wang Siting: of depression and growth

Hello, everyone.
How is the teaching? This is the sixth week of our practicum. I am sure that each of us has gained the useful experience. We not only get to know the students but also know ourselves better. During this period, we focused on how to teach and considered what materials could be properly used in the classroom. The ultimate goal is to attract students’ attention so that it can help increase their interest in learning English. What I found these days was that students like colorful things in their learning process and they like crosswords very much. So, providing more visual aids or crosswords in our teaching could be a useful way to help students gain knowledge.
My supervisor and mentor have respectively observed me once. They all gave me so many helpful suggestions. My supervisor, Dr. Nanik, suggested that I should try to attract students’ attention immediately at the beginning of the lesson. Besides that, she also advised me that it is always better to ask students to guess the meaning of the words instead of explaining the vocabulary directly. My mentor suggested me giving one or more challenging questions to the students, even though you know students’ level is not so high. I will improve my lesson based on their advice in the future.
Things will not always smooth sailing. We have to face various difficulties . During the teaching. I felt frustrated sometimes and questioned myself. The things you fully prepared for students may not feel interested; the lessons may not be conducted ideally. But, on the bright side, we can find our weaknesses this way. It helps us to be stronger and stronger. The weaknesses make us depressed; however, it makes us grow at the same time. Make our spiritual world more powerful.
Besides that, students’ final exam has started already. My job is to monitor the examination (Form 2 students). When I look at them, it made me recall my schooltime. Truthfully, hope my students can do well in their exams.
 After the exams, I have to continue my teaching task for two more weeks. Hope that I could be better than before. Also, all the best, my friends.
Sincerely,
Wang Siting

2 comments:

  1. Im happy that you're discovering and still discovering...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also tried the activity that you did about the vocab. Let them guess the meaning instead of directly tell them. I'll use some related pictures help them to guess the word. If they still cannot figure it out, I will give them clues like, if the word is "robot", I will say the word starts with letter "R". Because if the word you let them guess is too hard or let them continue guess it for a long time, they will loss their interests.

    ReplyDelete